Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Think I Have a Problem


This week I came to a horrible realization. It’s a realization that I have strategically tried to avoid, and even now it’s something that I don’t want to fully accept. But no matter how much I try to ignore it, it remains at the forefront of my mind and repeatedly shoved in my face. This problem is something I have struggled with for many years now. Something I am not proud of and must confess if I am to ever find the help I most desperately need.

(Exhale) I realized that I have an addictionto fatty foods. Cheeseburgers, turkey burgers, chicken sandwiches, breads, french fries, pizza, pork, soda, hot dogs, burritos, tacos, baked foods, fried foods, chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate (did I mention chocolate?) all have one thing in common….they eventually end up at the bottomless abyss called my belly.

I crave fatty foods, I dream of fatty foods, I feel alive (minus the heartburn) when I eat fatty foods. In fact, just this past week I committed to a delicious and “nourishing” diet that exclusively consisted of combo meals from Burger King, McDonalds and KFC. If I could spend every waking moment of every day allowing my tastes buds to venture on a magical yummy roller coaster of junky goodness, that would be absolute paradise for me.

And while stuffing my face uncontrollably sounds so appealing, I’m learning that it has some very unappealing side effects.  I weighed myself for the New Year and discovered that I gained 12 lbs in 3 ½ weeks. Like most people, I checked my scale to make sure it wasn’t broken, but alas, the scale doesn’t lie…I gained weight…and it was so easy…too easy…

I know what you’re thinking. “It’s just a few pounds, it’s not that bad. You can work it off later.” However, gaining weight isn’t the reason why I am so upset. It’s knowing that my actions are leading me back to a place I promised myself I would never return to.

For those who don’t know, my mother passed away from an unknown cancer 3 years ago. While she was medically considered “overweight”, she led a very healthy lifestyle and practically forced me and my siblings to be conscious of our health growing up. The day she passed changed everything for me. It made me appreciate how precious life is and how important it is to do all you can to ensure yourself a longer, healthier life.

She is my superhero and the biggest motivator that jumpstarted my journey to health and fitness. While on this journey, I was able to lose close to 40 lbs and be in the best shape of my life. I made a promise to her and myself not to regress. And those measly 12 lbs have pushed me 10 steps behind the woman I want to become inside and out.

So in the words of Ms. Diana Ross, “I’m coming out! I want the world to know!” I’m breaking the generational curses of health related diseases, conditions and ailments that are in my family by taking control of my body, and more importantly, what goes into my body. With that said I am starting a 1 month fatty food fast.
Specifically for the next month I am:
1. Cutting all sweets/treats out of my diet
2. Only eating meals that I have made myself (i.e. no eating out).
Also, no junk food (God help me) until I am able to get a hold of my addiction. And of course, plenty of Zumba to work off those 12 lbs and continue polishing my fit body.

If you’re like me and you’re struggling with food, your weight, bad habits and having a healthy mindset, don’t be discouraged. Even the most “fit” person has their off days. Find comfort in knowing you are not alone and there are so many people like myself who are ready and willing to help you achieve the body you’ve always dreamed of.

This week, I am choosing to believe that the impossible is possible! Here's to the first of many blog entries that follow my story and hopefully inspire you to continue yours. Wish me luck on my new journey and if you’re interested in joining me then let’s connect! Remember, a new you is waiting, so it’s time to get moving…

www.ashleychatman.zumba.com

No comments:

Post a Comment